Senior School Curriculum
(Year 10 to Year 12)
In 2017, St James Lutheran College will deliver a Senior School curriculum program with subject offerings that are based on the Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA) courses and the Queensland Curriculum & Assessment Authority (QCAA) syllabus.
Throughout Year 10 students will engage in the following core subjects;
• Christian Studies
• Science (including Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Marine Biology)
• HASS (History, Civics & Citizenship, Economics & Business and Geography) and
• HPE (Health and PE).
The following elective subjects will also be offered of which students select three per semester.
• Languages Other Than English (LOTE) – Japanese.
• Sports Excellence, Outdoor Education
• Visual Arts, Drama, Dance, Photography
• Design &Technology, Hospitality, Digital Technologies, Fabrics, Robotics
• Marine Science, Agricultural Science
Year 11 & 12 - Senior School Courses of Study
*Subject to change and availability. Contact the College for up to date information
• English (OP) or English Communication (Non-OP)
• Mathematics A or B
• Prevocational Mathematics ( Non-OP)
• Christian Studies or Kickstart (Cert III VET)
• Ancient History (OP)
• Biological Science (OP)
• BCT (OP) or Business Studies (Non-OP/ Cert II VET)
• Chemistry (OP)
• Dance (OP) or Dance in Practice (Non-OP)
• Hospitality (VET - Cert II)
• Japanese (OP)
• Marine Studies (OP) or Aquatic Practices (Non-OP)
• Mathematics C (OP)
• Physical Education (OP) or Fitness (Cert III VET)
• Physics (OP)
• Outdoor Recreation (Cert II VET) or Recreation Studies (Non-OP)
• Engineering (Cert II VET)
• Visual Arts (OP) or Visual Arts in Practice (Non-OP)
• Geography (OP)
• Legal Studies (OP)
• Information Technology Systems (OP)
• Science in Practice (Non-OP)
• Early Childhood Studies (Cert II VET or Non-OP)
• Drama (OP)
• Justice Studies (Cert IV VET)
VOCATIONAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING PATHWAYS
Vocational education and training (VET) is an option for students in Years 10-12. VET qualifications and options include;
• Certificate I, Certificate II, Certificate III, Certificate IV,
• Diploma and Advanced Diploma, and
• Traineeships and apprenticeships.
These qualifications can contribute credit towards a Queensland Certificate of Education. Students who wish follow a vocational pathway will need to choose 6 subjects (solely Authority Registered OR a combination of Authority and Authority Registered OR/PLUS VET Qualifications OR a Traineeship /Apprenticeship.)
YEAR 10 WORK EXPERIENCE
Students will be able to explore the world of work through Work Experience. Students will be placed in a work environment that has been negotiated between students, parents and the organising body (e.g School/SITE). Students will attend work hours as instructed by their employers for the period of work experience.