In keeping with Biblical Principles, St James Lutheran College (hereafter known as "the College") aims to accept and adhere to principles contained in government acts and by the general community. This means that the College will seek to implement such principles and establish a Sun Safe College Policy that reflects this undertaking. The College may, from time to time, review and update this policy to take account of new laws, changes to the Colleges’ operations and practices and to ensure said policy remains appropriate to the changing College environment.
As with other policies in place within the College, the SUNSAFE COLLEGE POLICY is an expression of the Mission Statement of the College in action. All that occurs at the College is measured through the following focusing statement:
“Called to Share”
The College :
1. enforces the wearing of legionnaire or broad brimmed hats (as per Uniform Policy) all year on each College day.
2. enforces the “no hat, no play” rule.
3. enforces the wearing of shirts with collars and elbow length sleeves and longer style shorts/dresses/skirts (as per the Uniform Policy).
4. enforces the wearing of rash vests for swimming lessons (although these are not part of the Uniform Policy).
5. provides and enforces the wearing of sunscreen in all timetabled outdoor activities during the school day.
6. encourages all staff to wear broad-brimmed/legionnaires hats when involved in outdoor College activities.
7. has sunscreen available for use by all students, staff, parent helpers and volunteers when involved in activities conducted outdoors and/or outside of peak UV periods.
8. actively encourages students to wear sunscreen to College on a daily basis.
9. strongly encourages parents to supply their children with sunscreen each College day.
10. promotes Sunsmart education in each year level’s curriculum.
11. conducts assemblies in the undercover area or hall all year round.
12. holds physical education activities in shaded areas and outside peak UV periods (where possible).
13. holds swimming carnivals (where possible) outside of peak UV periods.
14. enforces the eating of morning tea and lunch in especially shaded areas.
15. focuses on provision of shade (shade trees, covered areas and purpose built shade structures).
16. considers shade a priority area.